Search This Blog

Monday, October 17, 2011

Gardening

WHAT IS THIS?

I purchased this plant from a native gardener in my town in north Florida several years ago.  The gardener told me that the plant is called Lavender Basil.  Initially, I wasn't even interested in buying the plant, but the gardener was so keen on this shrub that I decided to buy it.  I brought it home and planted it in my butterfly/hummingbird garden, and she took off!  Every summer, she's covered in profuse white blooms that have a little light-purple-colored center.  These blooms are a magnet for bumble bees, so beware.  The bumble bees, however, have never been aggressive towards me--they seem to be quite drunk on the nectar and couldn't care less if I'm watering right next to them.

Well, this became my favorite plant in the garden.  Over the last couple of years, I've taken cuttings from her, put them in soil, and have successfully propagated three new plants.  I've done research on this plant and have found that, apparently, it goes by several names:  Lavender Basil, Ohoopee Basil, Ashe's Savory... and there may be more names.  So, what is it?  I also learned that this plant is a native of the Ocala National Forest (north/central Florida), and that it also grows in Georgia, and possibly in the Carolinas.

Can anyone help me positively identify this?

No comments: