Search This Blog

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Maitreya: The Buddha of the Future Figurine from Etsy Vendor

Do you shop on Etsy?  I do, and quite often, and it's a wonderful shopping site that offers many beautiful items that are handmade by very talented people all over the world.  There's vintage stuff, too. 

Recently, I purchased two little figurines of Maitreya, the Buddha of the future (one for me, one for a friend), from a wonderful vendor whose shopping site on Etsy is called spiritStuff.  The figurines are exquisite and sooooo reasonably priced.  Here's what spiritStuff has to say about this Buddha, and about her work:

Maitreya (Sanskrit), Metteyya (Pāli), or Jampa (Tibetan), is a future Buddha
of this world in Buddhist eschatology. In some Buddhist literature, such as
the Amitabha Sutra and the Lotus Sutra, he is referred to as Ajita Bodhisattva.

Maitreya is a bodhisattva who in the Buddhist tradition is to appear on Earth,
achieve complete enlightenment, and teach the pure dharma.

I enjoy making molds and casting repros, and I have been a mold maker
for more than 25 years. Buddhas and Quan Yins are a favorite, but also
I love making molds of totemic animal skulls, and had a collection of over
70 different ones at one time.

This is a casting that I made from an original, a carved Netsuke.
The Netsuke is a traditional form of bead that has evolved into an art form in Japan.

This little fellow is 2 1/8 inches tall, and I have done with a layered and shimmering
finish using silver and pearlescent paints, with a mossy under wash.
It ends up literally Glowing, and it faintly shows some of the original detail
that was etched into the surface of the Netsuke.

I'm continuing to design more color options on this and other Buddhas.

This Etsy vendor is a lovely person and very professional.  If you like her creations, I think you can have complete confidence in buying from her.

A very important postscript:  The little Maitreya has been with me two days, and since his arrival, I have noticed that a state of peacefulness is present in my home.  Amazing!

No comments: