Search This Blog

Monday, July 2, 2012

Fragrance--Serge Lutens

Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
This lovely lady is NOT my friend Meridith and
she's also not Yolanda or Lovelia, but she
is a great representation of the Hialeah
atmosphere!
I was introduced to Serge Lutens by my wonderful friend, Meridith. On one of her little jaunts to NYC she purchased a bottle of Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan and she shared a few sprays with me. IT -- IS -- DIVINE! I gotta be honest, as much as I love this fragrance, the "DIVINE" belongs to Meridith 'cause that's how it smells on her. Nevertheless, it wasn't bad on me, not bad at all. Damn good, actually. After I sprayed it on my wrist, I felt a little memory coming up, but it wasn't quite manifesting itself just yet. Much, much later that day, I saw it! I was taken back to the late 1970s when almost every Saturday I'd visit a little "Cuban Boutique" in west Hialeah called Yoher. My Mom always came with me, and we'd spend a couple of hours there doing a little shopping, but mostly, just chatting with the owners, Yolanda and Lovelia, two beautiful souls. That's what Yoher was all about: The camaraderie. Yolanda would always have plenty of "cafecito" to drink, and our conversations ranged from fashion, to ghosts, to crime, to their kids, to parties, you name it. Those were wonderful times.


Serge Lutens Borneo 1834

Lucky Scents describes this fragrance as masculine, but I disagree. No, it's not a "girly" scent, but it's definitely a little on the feminine side. I loved this, and it has definite staying power! It's pricey, but very worth it. I only have a sample, but if I can afford this one day, I'd definitely buy it! When I applied it, I imagined a beautiful room with shiny wood floors, and a red, peach, and gray bokhara rug in the center of it.

Serge Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan
Lucky Scents describes this as a masculine scent, but I think it's more of a unisex scent. Regardless, it's wonderful. I have a sample and I use it sparingly so it will last a while--buying this incredible scent will set me back a lot of $$$! I would, however, definitely buy this one if I had an extra $140.


Serge Lutens Wish List:

Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle
Tubereuse Criminelle Notes
tuberose, jasmine, orange blossom, hyacinth, nutmeg, clove, styrax, musk, vanilla.

Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque
Cuir Mauresque Notes
amber, myrrh, burnt styrax, incense, cinnamon, aloe wood, cedar, civet, nutmeg, clove, cumin, musk, mandarin peel, orange blossom

Serge Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan
Muscs Koublai Khan Notes
Vegetal Musk, Roots of Costus, Labdanum Rockrose, Grey Amber, Vanilla, Patchouli, Ambrette Seeds, pure Moroccan Rose
I've tried a sample of this scent, and I love it!

Serge Lutens Borneo 1834
Borneo 1834 Notes
Floral notes, galbanum, Indonesian patchouli, cocoa accord, cistus labdanum.
I've tried a sample of this scent, and I love it!

Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
Ambre Sultan Notes
coriander, amber, oregano, bay leaf, myrtle, angelica root, sandalwood, patchouli, benzoin, vanilla
I've tried a sample of this scent, and I love it!

Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle
Tubereuse Criminelle Notes
tuberose, jasmine, orange blossom, hyacinth, nutmeg, clove, styrax, musk, vanilla.

Serge Lutens Datura Noir
Datura Noir Notes
Myrrh, bitter almond, tonka bean, musk, osmanthus, heliotrope, mandarin, lemon blossom, tuberose, vanilla, coconut oil, apricot
Celia Lyttelton's book, The Scent Trail, names "Black Datura" by Serge Lutens, however, I wasn't able to find a Serge Lutens scent by that name.  I did find "Datura Noir," and the notes of this fragrance are exactly the same as the notes that Lyttelton lists for "Black Datura."  I'm assuming that "Datura Noir" and "Black Datura" are one and the same.

No comments: